I’ve got an insightful and juicy question for you to ask yourself, perhaps whilst meditating, and that is ‘how much joy am I experiencing on a day-to-day basis?’ Really sit with this meaningful question and see what comes up for you. It may be an instantaneous response or you may need to work through a few layers to truly uncover not only if you’re experiencing joy every day, but what exactly joy and happiness mean to you.
5 Ways To Experience More Joy In Your Life
1. Follow your joy. Do you ever feel as though you’re searching for happiness? There’s a big difference between searching for happiness and following your joy. When you follow your joy, you’re doing the things your heart truly desires.
Action : so gorgeous, what does your heart desire? Write ’em down 🙂
2. Define happiness. What is your definition of a happy life? Are you living it? Are you feeling it? This is a powerful question to ask yourself as your definition of happiness will influence every significant decision in your life. As Dr Robert Holden says, “if you think happiness is outside you, you will make happiness into a search, a catch or a reward that you must earn. If, however, you know happiness is inside you, then happiness becomes a compass, a teacher and an enabler that helps you to live your best life.”
Action: grab your journal/notebook and pen, and write down what your definition of happiness is.
3. Love and accept yourself. Without self-love and self-acceptance you will limit the amount of happiness, joy, love, success and abundance into your life. The law of attraction is activated by the law of acceptance. This really makes sense to me, as if you truly don’t love and accept yourself, how are you going to feel happiness from within and attract everything you desire?
Action: what steps can you take towards feeling more self-love and self-acceptance? Your inner wisdom will know the answer.
4. Choose joy. When you wake up each morning are you going to choose to whine or shine? A good trick you can try, is making a concerted effort to think positively before going to sleep. Think of how you want to feel when you wake in the morning. Think of all the things that give you this feeling of joy and also think about what you are grateful for and why. Really absorb this feeling and understand it. This will allow your subconscious mind to assimilate and grasp what you feel and know consciously, and shift you energetically. When you wake, feel into the joy and with self love and acceptance, allow this feeling to stay with you throughout your day 🙂
Action: every night spend at least 5 minutes thinking or journalling about all the things that give you joy. Really feel it. Also write down 1-3 meaningful things you are grateful for and why.
5. Create a happiness vision board. Remind yourself several times a day of all the beautiful and wonderful things and experiences that give you joy and happiness. This is a brilliant exercise to do (as well as fun and creative!), to really dive in deep and think of all the things your heart desires. The things that you love to do, that are fun and make you happy. You can create a vision board the tangible way by sticking or pinning cut outs onto a cork or poster board, or by creating a pinterest board or a digital collage to use as a screensaver.
Action: now that you are clear on what gives you this feeling of joy and happiness, start looking through magazines/the internet, for inspiring images you want to see on your happiness vision board.
I’d love to know your thoughts on this topic! Feel free to leave a comment below.
Image: Kelly Ann Mount
Anna V says
What a beautiful post! Joy & Happiness are two of my core desired feelings 🙂
And what gorgeous core desired feelings they are :-). Thanks for commenting Anna! x